Positions open: 2
Hours per Week: 35-40
Closes: Until Filled
First Cook (In-Flight Kitchen)
Wage: Commensurate with Experience
Hours of Work: Full-time (35 to 40 hours per week)
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Closing Date: Until Filled
Air North, Yukon's Airline's has a dynamic catering team driven by culinary excellence. Each day our flight kitchen prepares a menu consisting of fresh baked goodies, healthy snacks, hot and cold sandwiches, and entrees. Culinary innovation is highly encouraged in our flight kitchen, as our team is always seeking to produce new treats for our passengers, as well as for the special events we cater. Your attention to detail and organizational skills will make you an integral part of this fast paced and exciting environment.
Your main responsibilities will be to prepare food in accordance with Air North recipes and presentation standards, to lead other kitchen team members, and train and encourage where necessary; maintain cleanliness and organization of the kitchen; load aircraft with catering; and achieve on-time performance in conjunction with other departments to deliver Air North's high level of customer service.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Responsible for secondary food production, preparation, cuts transformation of all raw products, cooking of all ingredients, all cooking methods; sautéing, grilling, roasting, frying, baking, poaching, steaming, stewing, braising, smoking, etc.
· Assists the Executive Chef and Flight Kitchen Supervisor
· Prepares all aspects of the food production for flight catering according to standards and sanitation practices
· Input in menu development is a necessity
· Adheres to health and safety regulations and assists in maintaining security and safety in the kitchen
· Reports any equipment in need of repair to shift supervisor immediately
· Maintains neat professional appearance and observes personal cleanliness rules at all times
· Ensures that assigned work areas and equipment are clean and sanitary
· Understands all aspects of the kitchen operation from flight catering to banquet cooking
· Assists with training, development and expectation setting for all kitchen employees
· Can comfortably manage both flight catering and catering operations in the absence of the Chef and/or Supervisor
· Assists with other duties as assigned by Chef or Flight Kitchen Supervisor
· Successful completion from a recognized three-year culinary apprenticeship program and several years commercial cooking experience required
· Must be Food Safe Certified
· Superior organization skills with the ability to multi-task and work efficiently under pressure
· Ability to learn quickly and continually adjust to changing menus and standards
· Possesses a sense of urgency, professional demeanor, positive attitude and strong work ethic
· Ability to work with minimal supervision
· Integrity, honesty and responsibility with a desire to contribute to and cultivate a team environment
· Experience with catering and banquet cooking with exceptional attention to detail
· Must be able to work opening shift/ mid shift/closing shift
· Must have a strong communication skills, both verbal and written
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
Conditions of Employment:
· Must be able to obtain and Retain a Transport Canada Restricted Area Identity Card (RAIC) and Airside Vehicle Operators Permit (AVOP) within 90 days of employment
· Must be physical fit (able to bend, kneel, crawl, stoop, climb, and lift up to 70 pounds repetitively)
· Must be able to comfortably operate a 5-ton truck, maneuvering around equipment in tight areas
· Valid Class 5 Driver's License
· Must be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or show proof of right to work in Canada
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE POSITIONS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN WHITEHORSE. SELECTED CANDIDATES MUST BE WILLING TO RELOCATE ON THEIR OWN. RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE NOT COMPENSATED.
How to Apply:
Quoting competition #4N19-027, please submit your resume and cover letter to the Human Resources Department:
In Person: Air North Office, 150 Condor Road, Whitehorse, Yukon
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position. Due to the substantial volume of applications we receive, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants must clearly indicate that they meet the minimum qualifications to be considered for a position.
Air North, Yukon's Airline is committed to employment equity, and has been serving Yukoners for over 40 years. We offer competitive wages, an attractive benefits package including great travel perks, and an enriching work environment for our 500+ employees.
Positions open: 2
Hours per Week: 35-40
150 CONDOR RD