Positions open: 2
Hours per Week: Full-time (40 Hrs/Wk), days
Wage: $61,558.00 - $66,324.00/Annually
Reference number: STC20J-022644-000003
Selection process number: 20-STC-EA-NAT-750032
Statistics Canada - Census
$61,558 to $66,324
For further information on the organization, please visit Statistics Canada
Closing date: 1 June 2021 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply: Persons residing or working within an 80-kilometre radius of the position being staffed. Should there be an insufficient number of applicants residing or working in the specific location, applicants outside of the radius will be considered.
Update: The following is a list of potential locations to be staff. If you are in a location not mentioned but are still interested in the opportunity, we highly encourage you to submit your application as some locations may be subject to change.
Calgary, Cold Lake, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Brandon Thompson, Winnipeg, Iqaluit, Yellowknife, Prince Albert, Regina, Saskatoon, Yorkton, Kamloops, Prince George, Vancouver, Victoria, Terrace, Whitehorse, Merritt, Cranbrook, Penticton, Chilliwack, Williams Lk, Quesnel, Dawson Creek, Whistler, Mission, Abbotsford, Squamish, Powell River, Sechelt, Gibbsons, Duncan, Victoria, Nanaimo, Comox, Campbell River, Port Hardy, Kelowna, Surrey, Port Moody, Delta, Richmond, Burnaby, Nelson, Penticton, Coquitlam, Smithers, Prince Rupert, Hope
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
In this job, you will be required to work exclusively from home and will be considered an employee working from home. You will therefore not have a physical workplace.
**Applications will be considered and assessed at regular intervals. The candidates who meet the Essential Qualifications will be deemed qualified after each round and will be placed in a pool for immediate consideration for AS-03 positions being staffed.**
Please note: It is recommended to submit your application as soon as possible as positions will start as early as December 2020.
In your PSRS questionnaire responses, clarity, coherence, conciseness as well as appropriate attention to detail (spelling, grammar and relevance to the factor being substantiated) will be used to evaluate the essential qualifications. It is NOT sufficient to only state that the qualifications are met or to provide a listing of current or past responsibilities or to refer to your resume. Rather you must clearly demonstrate HOW, WHEN, and WHERE the qualification was met through substantiation by examples.
Along with your CV, you need to provide the contact information (names, phone number and email address) of two professional references, including the name of your current supervisor and a supervisor within the last 3 years.
- As part of the Census Field Operations (CFO) management team, participates in the planning, organizing and control of Census field operations for an assigned area within a CFO district.
- Supervises and coordinates a team of Crew Leaders; and follows up on and resolves collection, staff and pay issues.
- Reviews authorized budgets and participates in the monitoring, analysis and evaluation of field operations by reviewing activity reports. Authorizes Enumerators' weekly payment, expenses and allowances.
- Supervises performance and productivity measures in close collaboration with the Census Crew Leaders and managers in the CFO.
- Trains and supervises Census Crew Leaders and provides advice and guidance on the recruitment and training of Census Enumerators.
- Promotes respondent participation in the Census and participates in the implementation of regional communication strategies to promote the Census program to public and staff.
- Communicates orally and in writing with staff, respondents and individuals from Census Field Offices and Regional Census Centres.
- Assesses resolves and responds to complaints coming from the public.
- Reviews and monitors work methods and procedures to assess and improve the security and quality control of Census data collection.
- Monitors and controls costs and quality to meet targets.
- Participates in the debriefing and evaluation processes.
- Works closely with other managers including FOS, Collection Support Unit (CSU) Manager, Assistant Manager Pay and Administrative Officer to resolve collection, processing, and pay issues.
- Works closely with Recruiter and Field Operations Manager to meet recruitment targets.
Statistics Canada conducts the Census of Population in order to develop a statistical portrait of Canada and Canadians on one specific day. The census is designed to provide information about people and housing units in Canada by their demographic, social and economic characteristics.
The Census of Population is a reliable basis for the estimation of the population of the provinces, territories and municipal areas. The information collected is related to federal and provincial legislative measures and provides a basis for the distribution of federal transfer payments. The census also provides information about the characteristics of the population and its housing within small geographic areas and for small population groups to support planning, administration, policy development and evaluation activities of governments at all levels, as well as data users in the private sector.
Intent of the process
The pool of qualified candidates established from this process may be used to staff similar positions for the 2021 Census in various locations, various linguistic profiles, tenures, security clearances and/or conditions of employment.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
Contact information for 2 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
A secondary school diploma or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Experience in training and supervising staff.
- Experience in managing projects.
- Experience in performing basic computer functions (operating a mouse, keyboarding, opening /closing and locating software programs and files).
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Bilingual imperative CBC/CBC
Bilingual imperative BBB/BBB
Ability to plan, control and manage data collection in a decentralized environment.
Ability to analyze reports and initiate corrective action
Ability to recruit, train and motivate staff.
Ability to prioritize tasks.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Thinking things through
Showing initiative and action-oriented
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Previous census experience.
Experience delivering training
Experience conducting recruitment activities
Recent and significant* experience in managing projects.
Knowledge of relevant social topics for First Nations communities.
Experience working on Reserves.
*Recent and significant is defined as one year within the last three.
Selection may be limited to members of the following Employment Equity groups: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
Availability and willingness to travel, sometimes on short notice.
Availability and willingness to work overtime as required.
Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends, as required.
Have a secure office space and a private area at your place of residence to make confidential phone calls .
Have reliable internet access at your place of residence.
The above conditions of employment must be met before an appointment is made. All costs associated with meeting the conditions of employment are the candidate's responsibility. Candidates must meet and maintain the above conditions of employment throughout their employment.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
For this process, your second official language oral proficiency may be assessed using the Position-Specific Assessment for Oral Proficiency at the B Level (PSA-B). Prior to the assessment, you will be provided with more information on the format of the assessment. It will be recorded for quality control and research purposes. If you already possess a valid Second Language Evaluation – Test of Oral Proficiency result of B or higher, you do not need to take the PSA-B.
PLEASE NOTE: For this selection process, our intention is to communicate with applicants by e-mail for screening/assessment purposes (including issuing screening results, and sending invitations for written tests and interviews). Applicants who apply to this selection process must include in their application a valid e-mail address and make sure this address is functional at all times and accepts messages from unknown users.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
Candidates' qualifications may be assessed through screening questions, written tests, interviews and/or references. Candidates may be eliminated at any point during the selection process if they fail to demonstrate any of the essential criteria through their behaviour, for example, through: communication with Human Resources, informal discussion, selection interview, etc.
Internal reference contacts are not restricted to the list of names given by the candidate. The Selection Committee reserves the right to contact other references within the federal public service.
A random or top down selection of candidates may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process.
Candidates with foreign credentials must provide proof of Canadian equivalency. Consult the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials for further information at http://www.cicic.ca/
As an excluded employee, you will be subject to the majority of the provisions of the Public Service Employment Act with some exceptions. Your employment will be subject to the following:
• You will not be eligible for internal appointment processes or deployments, except for acting appointments and deployments made to positions excluded by the Statistics Canada Census and Survey Related Term Employment Exclusion Approval Order (EAO).
• You will not be eligible for indeterminate status as a result of your employment in the Census program; time spent as an excluded employee will not count towards the three-year term to indeterminate conversion.
• You will be entitled to seven days' notice if you are rejected on probation.
• You will be entitled to seven days' notice when your employment ends, should your services no longer be required by reason of lack of work, the end of the census cycle or the transfer of work to other staff.
Depending on the requirements of the position(s) being staffed from this process, for current or future vacancies, any or all of the asset qualifications, operational requirements, and organizational needs may be applied at the time of staffing. Candidates may be contacted and assessed against these criteria at any time during this process.
Only on-line applications will be accepted. All job applications must be submitted through the Public Service Resourcing System (PSRS).
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Human Resources Officer – Recruitment and Development Division
Statistics Canada / Government of Canada
Agent des ressources humaines — Division du recrutement et du perfectionnement
Statistique Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Positions open: 2
Hours per Week: Full-time (40 Hrs/Wk), days
Wage: $61,558.00 - $66,324.00/Annually